Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mike Libby - Insect Lab

This week has been a very complicated week for me, so this post will be a bit shorter than usual.



Now here's something that's definitely in the spirit of the Vortex Machines. Artist/sculptor Mike Libby combines insects with mechanics to create some very fetching technological arthropodal hybrids.
And I love the cold, precise functionality of cogs, gears, electrical components and such. And I love how the mechanical behavioral patterns/functions of insects reflect this in nature. So something like this fellow's creative output I find rather aesthetically pleasing indeed.

Check out his work here.

Thank yous go out to Miss Blimey for exposing me to Libby's creations.

♥ Chloé

2 comments:

  1. These mechanical insects could be improved to battle the natural ones, and the bug spray would be gone. Oh, wow.

    P. S.: I saw Pesci and heard Devics from the previous posts. Pesci is deliciously WTF-y and Devics is good, too bad the probably best song, Crystal is not fully available on MySpace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Crystal was the first Devics song I heard, and I was instantly hooked. They don't have the whole song up on their myspace anymore? Damn, they must have truncated it very recently, as I've been listening to the whole song on their myspace for the last few months. Listened to it on there just a few days ago even.
    Crystal is only available as a bonus track on the version of Push The Heart released in Asia, which is also pretty annoying.

    ReplyDelete